Saturday, August 4, 2007

Last ride before Montana

Today I rode for the last time before leaving for the USA on 10th August. I haven't been able to get riding lessons for love nor money, the stables are chock a block with kids being taught so I've been going on hour long hacks around the horse trails of Blaise Castle on the outskirts of Bristol. The constant rain has meant for still lush, bright green growth on the park lands, the trails are overgrown with brambles, nettles and blackberries - gorgeous albeit incredibly muddy underfoot and the forests are heavy with deep green light and moist, earthy smells. Today a dainty roe deer startled the horses, it bounded from almost under us, better then the scrambler bike that scared the bejaysus out of us last week.

I'm not much of a rider, but so far I've made up for lack of technical know how with gusto and gumption. My mother's a keen equestrian as were both her parents. I ride at Fitzgeralds Equestrian Centre in Abbyfeale, Co. Limerick, Ireland when visiting my mother and the prospect of Montana has encouraged me to do more. Earlier this year in May I spent a few days riding on hacks for a couple of hours a day at Fitzes under the expert eye of Leona - a super and smart horsewoman. She had me up and down a few banks and ditches and doing a few jumps - taking it handy on Splatters who was a sure and fun mount and daily riding was sheer joy.

No comments: